23. Tips for Beginners
In this video, our CTT athletes share a few tips for newer climbers just starting out:
Pick a pair of shoes that are comfortable and not too tight.
1. Stick to the easier routes (more endurance laps) to focus on your climbing movement, instead of pushing yourself to climb harder routes.
2. Avoid these common mistakes:
- High Stepping: bringing your legs higher than necessary for the move, which can push you off the rock
- Over Gripping: instead think of the minimum amount of grip required to gain traction on the hold, to avoid over-pumping the forearms
- When Slab Climbing: trust your feet gaining traction against the rock one at a time, versus splitting weight between two feet
3. Leverage same holds by changing your body position and switching up the stance (e.g. switching from toe to backstep)
4. Be respectful to the areas you climb. Please be sure to “Leave No Trace”!
We hope you found this video helpful. Feel free to comment below with questions or thoughts!
Please remember, climbing is inherently dangerous. Climb at your own risk.