7. Rock Rings – Shoulder Shrugs
Here we review how to use hanging rings for climbing fitness. The shoulder shrug exercise is designed to counter the overdevelopment of lat muscles, which is common amongst climbers. This exercise also helps correct bad posture, by bringing hunched shoulders back to normal position.
1. Start by grabbing onto both rings, and lean back so your body is almost in a plank position, keeping both your back and arms completely straight.
2. From this position, contract your back to try and make your lat muscles touch.
3. Release back to a relaxed position.
Tips to ensure proper shoulder shrug technique:
- In the video, try to notice correct angles for arms, back, hips, knees, and feet.
- Always keep your arms straight. DO NOT engage the biceps.
- Always keep your hips and knees straight.
- Be sure to exhale while you contract, and inhale while you release.
- We recommend performing this exercise in 3 sets of 15 repetitions.
We hope you found this video helpful. Feel free to comment below with questions or thoughts!
Please remember, climbing is inherently dangerous. Climb at your own risk.